Another program we’re known for is our seniors center, which is called Centro de Oro (Center of Gold) and is the highlight of our Family Services Division.
• The only socialization and group meal program in Monroe County that serves Latinos over the age of 60
• 149 active seniors enrolled and serve 40 per day, Monday through Friday
• Part-time staff of four
• Serves as a home away from home because of the way its set up
• Has a living room, dining room, kitchen and eating area, piano, pool table, seating areas and exercise machines
• Serves breakfast and lunch, the only warm meal of the day for some
• Recent $25,000 renovation upgrade with a GRHF Grant
• Serves as an education center
• Education on Alzheimer’s and family support
• Diabetes and Hypertension Management Program: Weekly group meetings that offer support and education for seniors with diabetes or hypertension. This includes food and exercise demonstrations and monitoring of their blood sugar levels and hypertension rates. This is a community health initiative through Excellus.
• Outcomes: 100 percent have not increased their weight. 8 percent have lowered it. 72 percent have reached blood pressure within acceptable range, 24 percent lowered it.
• Latino Elder Abuse Program: This program is a collaboration with Lifespan. 42 percent reported abuse or knowledge of someone else being abused. Presentations are offered to seniors, caretakers and professionals to raise awareness about this issue and investigations also take place.
• More than 600 participants
We would not be successful without the support and partnerships that we have with other organizations. Lifespan and Elder One are part of this group.